28 August 2011

FCT #24: turkish halal pide house

Yarralumla is one of Lulu's old haunts and now a favourite spot of mine. Nestled up against the lake in a hidden corner of the inner-south, it's more of a nature-bonanza than a suburb. Although it's a nature-bonanza of the Canberra-kind, with gentrified parklands that back onto the Governor General's Residence and encompass a nursery, sailing clubs and a mini train. (Because let's face it: every city needs a mini train.)

The parklands - and specifically Westbourne Woods - are beautiful and have a significant history which I'll explore some day soon. But today I'm here to talk to you about the Turkish Halal Pide House, which is surely as significant as a bunch of old trees. Or at least as delicious.

I'm not a food reviewer and I'm not going to waffle on. It's enough to say that this is an excellent Turkish takeaway joint. AZ and I had a pre-wander lunch of kabak kebabs, which boast zucchini fritters in place of felafel. The kebabs are kept simple, with fresh salads, good sauces and amazingly fresh bread. All the bread is made on site and is scrum-diddly-umptious. We also had a side serve of fasulye. I'm surprised that Lulu managed to keep the fasulye a secret, given that it very closely resembles one of her favourite Italian dishes. Green beans are stewed in olive oil, onion and tomato until they are soft, rich and scrumm-diddly-umptious.

We'd started scraping the plates before I could get the camera out, so you'll have to trust me when I tell you... it was scrum-diddly-umptious. 

-------------------------- 
Turkish Halal Pide House
47 Novar Street, Yarralumla
T: 02 6281 1991
-------------------------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment