11 July 2011

FCT #22: canberra winter

It's taking me some time to warm up (haw haw) to the topic of the Canberra winter. It's quite simply NOT my Favourite Canberra Thing. And I've had a rough start to the season due to personal stuff that I'm determined not to jibba jabba on about here. I know, I know. I can barely believe my restraint either.

It's a challenge to find a positive focus for something so bone-bitingly cold... but many peeps manage it... or else they lie quite convincingly. There's talk of 'cozyness' and 'sunny winter days' and 'the opportunity to slow down'. I would prefer the opportunity to remain consistently warm. But I'm here and I have to make the most of it. (And yes, I do realise that we're not talking about Alaska or Siberia or Pluto.)

So how best to do that?

Clearly comfort food, Nana's bedsocks and some good quality teev are crucial. (AZ and I have been working our way through Game of Thrones, Archer, Episodes and Man Stroke Woman - all excellent.) However, as tempting as it is, bunkering down in bed with a season's supply of hot chocolate, hot chips and hotcakes isn't going to work as an ongoing survival strategy. Just imagine the crumbs between the sheets for a start. 

Broader options include...

--Time outside. Unlikely unless it's 8 degrees as a minimum, I'll admit, with at least a splash of sunshine.

--Time with friends. A challenge given that I still don't have many here but definitely something to aim for.

--Time escaping. I'm heading to Melbournio later this week and I CAN'T WAIT! There have been plenty of short escapes too. Day trips to Bungendore and Braidwood, a choir excursion to Wagga and Albury, and a few days at the coast the weekend before last. It all adds up to time somewhere slightly sunnier.

--Time creating. There's not a lot of creating going on. Let's be honest. But it does help when it happens.

--Time adequately attired. My winter wardrobe SUCKS! A couple of ratty jackets worn with 15 layers of t-shirts. Winter must be easier when one is clothed in a decent coat and a woolly jumper or two. Hopefully lazy-broke-me will get it together in time to test this theory next winter.

--Time with eyes open. Remembering that there is always something special out there to be noticed. Even if it's the long legs of frost on my windscreen in the morning.

Reviewing this list, I realise that it captures strategies to work on rather than strategies that are actually working well. It's good to have somewhere to start, right? Whaddaya reckon? Do you have any favourite winter warmers to share? What keeps you defrosted throughout the winter?

In other news: the king parrots came back to the bean tree this morning and put on a spectacular show. I wasn't fast enough with the camera to capture the 15+ of them, crimson bellies flashing and tails fanning. They reminded me that there is beauty everywhere - even in the grey - if we take the time to connect with it.

They reminded me that winter will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment