06 March 2011

FCT #3: fishburgers + ginger beer

Confession time... sometimes weekends make me blue. 

I know that sounds ridiculous. But it's true.

I've never really been able to get to the bottom of it. Sometimes I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Sometimes I struggle to relax. Sometimes I feel like time is running away from me. Sometimes I'm consumed by chores. Sometimes I can't work out what - from my ever-growing list - I most want to do. And so I fall into a funk. When the funk hits the best option is to get up, get out, and do something. Preferably something fun. Clearly, the worst option is to stay home and mope. Even though that's often the option that calls the loudest.

On Saturday morning I fell prey to the funk for no identifiable reason. So I decided to bite off a deliciously do-able chunk of Canberra and wandered up the road for lunch at Flatheads Fish Cafe.

There's been a takeaway joint at the O'Connor Shops for as long as I can remember. As kids, three potato scallops would take care of a coupla coins from under the couch cushions with no squabbles. But there wasn't much else to spend our hard-found cash on - it was all greasy burgers and chico rolls. Flatheads definitely lifted the game when they took over. There's nothing flash about their simple wooden chairs and tables, and the menu's not fancy either, but it's now a fine fish 'n' chippery. The staff are friendly. The sauce list is a mile long (and includes Mikkel's
homemade tomato chutney). And the dulcet tones of Van Halen are on the stereo on this overcast Saturday morning.

Flatheads' fish burgers hold a special place in the hearts of my kin. Slim and Lulu both rate them as the best in the Can and perhaps even the world! And for good reason. They are bloody good fishburgers. Again, there's no frou frou - just fish, lettuce and tomato on a bun. But the bun is soft inside and chewy out, the helping of oakleaf and ripe tomato is generous, the tartar is tasty, and the giant fillet of flaky fish is encased in a light, crunchy crumb. It's gooooooood. It's huuuuuuuuge. And for $8.50 it's about the best value fish feast around.

Guess who's smiling now?
--------------------------
Flatheads Fish Cafe
Shop 6, McPherson Street, O'Connor
T: 02 6248 0696
--------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the place to visit next time I'm in Canberra! Looks like I need to take a friend along to share the meal with--it looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sharchdraft8/3/11 10:22 PM

    Claire that sounds de-LUSH. You should make your merry way around 'Our Nation's Capital' doing impromptu food reviews for maybe ??? A Uni paper or Street Mag ?

    p.s. That mid-burger skewer looks solid enough for some Pole Dancing?
    Take Care,
    A-R (t) x.

    ReplyDelete